• Help with money troubles can make all the difference

Financial support

The last few years have been financially difficult for many of us, with households having to deal with a range of knock on effects of the pandemic. Added to this, the cost of living is continuing to increase, with constant news headlines about the latest pressures on household budgets. Most financial issues we're facing are out of our control and can lead to real practical problems at home and raised stress levels.

NHS England says, "Financial concerns have consistently been in the top five reasons our people call the free support helpline run by the Samaritans."

If you are worried because of difficulties with your finances, there is support available.  The below charities can give you financial advice and practical help, depending on your role:

Financial support available

Social workers

  • Social Workers Benevolent Fund (SWBT) small charity offering a one-off, limited financial help to social workers (including retired social workers) and their dependents in times of hardship, for example, when experiencing sickness, bereavement, family difficulties or sudden catastrophe.

Care workers 

  • The Care Workers’ Charity  "We support the almost 2 million care workers in the UK, contributing to one of the largest workforces. They face challenges such as loss of income, inconsistent hours, consequences of low recruitment and retention". The charity offers:
    Crisis Grants to people have worked in a paid role in the UK’s care sector and are involved in or support the provision of care. This includes people who have been involved in residential social care, home care, supported living care or day care.
    COVID-19 Emergency Fund grants for care workers with immediate financial needs, due to loss of income during Covid, funeral costs, childcare or losing a loved one. For care workers as well as roles like Cooks/Kitchen Assistants, Housekeepers, Domestic Workers, Maintenance staff, Drivers, Admin staff, Team Leaders/Supervisors and Personal Assistants in the care sector.

NHS staff

  • Money Advice Service - NHS England have partnered with this organisation, who work to improve people's financial wellbeing. They can give you free, impartial money advice
    Call: 0800 448 0826 (Mon - Fri, 8am - 6pm)
    Typetalk: 18001 0800 915 4622
    WhatsApp: +44 7701 342 744
  • Find information and support on the NHS People website to help you with debt, budget planning, employment issues and more.

Nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants

  • Cavell Nurses Trust is a charity that supports UK nurses, midwives and healthcare assistants, both working and retired, when they’re suffering personal or financial hardship often due to illness, disability, older age and domestic abuse. One-off grants and rapid emergency funding for those at great risk

Doctors and medical students

  • Royal Medical Benevolent Fund If you are a doctor working in the UK or a student at a UK medical school, you may be eligible for financial help. They also give online advice and wellbeing support and can help refugee doctors in certain areas of the country. 
  • Royal Medical Foundation The Royal Medical Foundation aims to help registered doctors and their families in financial hardship, in three ways: Regular payments to their widows, widowers and children; one-off grants when emergency help is required; and in exceptional circumstances, assistance with school fees for children of registered doctors, to maintain educational stability at times of distress from bereavement, illness, or financial need.
  • The Cameron Fund The Cameron Fund is the GPs' own charity. They provide support to GPs and their families in times of financial need, whether through ill-health, disability, death or loss of employment. They help those already suffering from financial hardship and those who are now facing it.
  • BMA Charities BMA Charities provides financial assistance for medical students, doctors and refugee doctors. 

Ambulance staff

  • The Ambulance Staff Charity (TASC) support all present and past ambulance staff and their families in time of need, both in the NHS and independent sector. Their independent, confidential services include psychological rehabilitation and counselling, stress and PTSD support; physical rehabilitation; financial grants; debt advice; welfare and other support; and bereavement support.

For everyone in the UK

  • Cost of Living Crisis and your Mental Health - a website developed by Mental Health UK, that gives clear, practical advice and support for people experiencing issues with mental health and money. Including advice for managing your finances if you have mental health issues, if money troubles are affecting your mental health, if you are a carer, with real life stories, tools, financial calculators and more. 
  • National Debtline – free financial advice for all. Call: 0808 808 4000 (Mon - Fri, 9am – 8pm)

Local authority support
You can receive help with bills, warm spaces and budgeting tips from your local authority

For areas outside of Berkshire, search online for the name of your council and 'Cost of living'.