A growing number of people are training to become a mental health first aider at work. This internationally recognised training course aims to teach you how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help, on a first aid basis.
Why is Mental Health First Aid training needed?
Although things are improving, there’s still stigma around mental ill health. People often don’t know how to support a friend, relative or colleague experiencing a mental health issue, or where to go for support.
What is Mental Health First Aid training?
- The Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course teaches you how to identify, understand and help someone who may be experiencing a mental health issue.
- MHFA will teach you to listen, reassure and respond.
- You’ll learn to recognise warning signs of mental ill health and develop the skills and confidence to approach and support someone, while keeping yourself safe.
- You’ll also learn how to help someone access the support they might need for recovery or successful management of symptoms.
How can Wellbeing Matters help?
We have two Mental Health First Aid Instructors in our team, who are qualified to deliver Mental Health First Aider training. They are offering virtual and face to face training courses to all health and social care staff in Berkshire.
Can I get Mental Health First Aid training?
- Yes, if you work in health or social care and you live or work in Berkshire, you are eligible to book a place.
- We have started running online courses and places are booking up fast.
- If you’re NHSP, agency or temporary staff working in health or social care, you’re eligible for all of our Wellbeing Matters support, including this training.
- Please check with your manager/ supervisor that you can attend before booking, as with any training course.
- Available as a 2 day course, or as 4 half days.
- After you complete the course, you'll become part of our MHFAider community. You'll get our MHFA newsletter and invitations to online events like our MHFA cafe, a safe space to discuss your role, get support and hear how you can keep your skills up to date.
- To see the latest course dates, click on the online booking form below.
Book your place
- Email TrainingWellbeingMatters@berkshire.nhs.uk if you have any questions, if you have any feedback on the timing or format of the training, or if you would like to look into a large group booking.
- Please pass the message onto your teams in local meetings and updates.
You may also be interested in
Get support with Wellbeing Matters
Work in health or social care and live or work in Berkshire? Get free, confidential support from our friendly team today.
Support for you
- Call our Wellbeing Line: 0300 365 8880 (9am–4pm, Mon–Fri, except bank holidays)
- Email: WellbeingLine@berkshire.nhs.uk to book a call from a mental health practitioner.
- Try SilverCloud for staff online self-help. Learn new coping strategies, to help with stress, sleep, anxiety, depression, money worries, alcohol misuse and more. Choose to do courses as self-help, or supported.
Support for your team