A growing number of people are training to become a mental health first aider at work. This internationally recognised training course aims to teach you how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help, on a first aid basis.
Why is Mental Health First Aid training needed?
Although things are improving, there’s still stigma around mental ill health. People often don’t know how to support a friend, relative or colleague experiencing a mental health issue, or where to go for support.
What is Mental Health First Aid training?
- The Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course teaches you how to identify, understand and help someone who may be experiencing a mental health issue.
- MHFA will teach you to listen, reassure and respond.
- You’ll learn to recognise warning signs of mental ill health and develop the skills and confidence to approach and support someone, while keeping yourself safe.
- You’ll also learn how to help someone access the support they might need for recovery or successful management of symptoms.
How can Wellbeing Matters help?
We’re welcoming two new Mental Health First Aid Instructors to our team, who are qualified to deliver Mental Health First Aider training. They will be offering virtual and face to face training courses to all health and social care staff in Berkshire.
Can I get Mental Health First Aid training?
Yes. Our first two courses will be running in October and will be delivered virtually. You can find the dates below.
If you work in health or social care and you live or work in Berkshire, you can book the training. (If you’re NHSP, agency or temporary staff working in health and social care, you’re eligible for all of our support, including this training.)
Course 1: Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th October
Course 2: Monday 17th and Tuesday 18th October
How to book
- Email TrainingWellbeingMatters@berkshire.nhs.uk for more details and to book onto the course.
- If you can’t make those dates, still email in the name and email addresses of interested staff in your organisation or network.
- Your information will help us plan the number of courses needed. And we’ll let you know when more course dates open up for booking.
- Please pass the message onto your teams in local meetings and updates.
You may also be interested in
Get support with Wellbeing Matters
Work in health or social care and live or work in Berkshire? Get free, confidential support from our friendly team today.
Support for you
- Call our Wellbeing Line: 0300 365 8880 (9am–4pm, Mon–Fri, except bank holidays)
- Email: WellbeingLine@berkshire.nhs.uk to book a call from a mental health practitioner.
- Try SilverCloud for staff online self-help. Learn new coping strategies, to help with stress, sleep, anxiety, depression, money worries, alcohol misuse and more. Choose to do courses as self-help, or supported.
Support for your team